The gaming industry has grown tremendously in the recent past. A recent report released by the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) estimated that 42% of Americans play video games for at least 3 hours every week. Additionally, more than 150 million Americans play online and offline video games.
Another forecast by PwC suggested that by 2019, the revenue generated from video games would reach $93.18 billion USD. In addition, the global social gaming market would reach $22.52 billion USD. Considering these statistics, you can see why games constitute one of the leading API categories today.
One of the key decisions to make in game programming is which application programming interface (API) and libraries to use. Other important features include the cost and functionality of gaming APIs. Currently, there are various libraries that manage key features and tasks such as sound, graphics rendering, sound processing, and inputs. There are other libraries that do manage artificial intelligence tasks such as path-finding. This feature is concerned with how the different applications move around an obstacle. There are other game engines that handle most of the tasks. However, most of these gaming APIs require coding. Generally, a game engine includes a rendering engine for 3D and 2-D physics engine, scripting, graphics, and animation.
The library and API to use is determined by the target platform of the game. For instance, libraries for Microsoft Windows development are not available for the Wii, and vice versa. However, there exists a framework that allows the process of cross-platform development. This feature allows a game developer to program a game in a single language. The developer can run the game on different platforms such as the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Wii. High-quality graphics is one of the key features of any game. In the early 2000s, most games used 2-D graphics. Nowadays, most games use the 3-D feature.
So, What Are Gaming APIs?
Technically, API is an acronym for Application Programming Interface. The term refers to a software interface that allows two applications to communicate with each other. A gaming API allows your programs and software applications to interact with one another and share rules, settings, specifications, and data among others.
These APIs interact with libraries, operating systems, applications and more, usually used to share and embedded gaming content.
Various gaming platforms, such as Steam and Xbox Live have positively contributed to the rise of social gaming. They have also positively impacted the development and advancement of gaming technologies around the globe. These platforms allow the developers to incorporate online game data into their application. There are quite a number of game APIs that are available in the market.
In order to enjoy optimum effectiveness and returns from a gaming API, you need to select one with the best features and fast response rate. Here, we will analyze some of the best gaming APIs based on their:
What is the best video game API?
After reviewing over 34 video game APIs, we found these 8 APIs to be the very best and worth mentioning:
Our Top 8 Best Gaming APIs for 2019
|Chicken Coop||Best for Metacritic Data||Connect to API|
|Pokemon Go||Best for Pokemon Go Data||Connect to API|
|PokeAPI||Best for General Pokemon Data||Connect to API|
|IGDB||Best for Video Game Database||Connect to API|
|SteamWeb||Best for Steam Stats & User Data||Connect to API|
|Dota2||Best for Dota2 League & Player Data||Connect to API|
|League of Legends||Best for LoL (League of Legends) Game Data||Connect to API|
|Minecraft||Best for Minecraft Server Data||Connect to API|
Our Top Picks for Best Video Game APIs
1. Chicken Coop
The Chicken Coop API is an unofficial Metacritic API to get information about video games.
The API gets data from Metacritic.com, specifically about video games through it's
Search a game endpoint.
The API returns basic information about a particular video game including:
Chicken Coop is a free Metacritic API available only on RapidAPI.com.
Popularity Score: 8.1/10
2. Pokemon Go
The Pokemon Go API is a RESTful API that provides tons of information about the Pokemon Go mobile game, including:
- and much more.
This is an unofficial API that is completely free to use on RapidAPI.
Popularity Score: 8.3/10
The Poke API is fully built under the REST architecture and linked to a broad database that details everything concerning the main series of Pokémon games. This covers everything from Berry Flavors to Pokémon.
Essentially, Poké will provide you with an interface to a comprehensive Pokémon database.
Poké API is free to use on RapidAPI. Get a free API key to begin enriching your app with Pokemon data.
Popularity Score: 8.2/10
The Game Database API, also popularly known as the Internet Game Database API (IGDB) is a free video game database API that offers video games, video games companies, and their employees’ information. The product is essentially a video game community website that focuses on the needs of video game professionals and consumers as well.
Learn how to use the IGDB API here.
The common endpoints of this API include:
- Get video games modes, editions, modes editions and franchises
- Get updates from the social media, news articles and feeds.
- Gather information about the employees working on the game.
IGDB is effective as a comprehensive database that responds to the particular needs of game professionals and consumers by offering them information. The database is an interface or bridge between the gaming community and the broader industry.
Some of the endpoints of the IGDB API include:
- get information about employees working on a game
- get social media status updates and feeds, news and media articles about games
- get video games franchises, modes, engines, editions, and modes
- get information about gaming companies and industry developments
IGDB API Pricing
The Game Database IGDB API is free for commercial and non-commercial usage.
Popularity Score: 8.0/10
The Steam Web API offers an interface through which gamers and professionals can collect information concerning various games and related materials. The API enables users of the Steam game Team Fortress 2 to submit data from their gameplay, for instance, player stats and rankings on their websites.
Steam Web API subsequently provides services that enable its users to present request using languages contained in the Steam Condenser language pack or OpenID library and return it back in VDF, XML, or JSON.
Steam represents a Web API using HTTP that can be utilized to access numerous features of Steamworks.
The methods used by the API are public and can be accessed using any application with the capability of making HTTP requests such as servers and clients. Additionally, the SteamWeb API also boasts protected methods which demand authentication and are meant to be accessed through trusted back-end apps.
Examples of the uses of the Steam API include execution of in-game purchases, retrieval of users’ stats and scores, and checking whether users own particular gaming applications.
Popularity Score: 7.4/10
The Dota 2 API offers integration for multiple players to the Dota 2 video game. Using the video game API, you can get data about the players, items, tournaments, teams, matches, and leagues. Video game API enables you to sort a variety of gaming features.
The premium tier allows for up to 5000 calls per month, at the rate of 60 calls per minute. On the other hand, the premium tier offers you unlimited calls per month at the rate of 300 calls per minute.
How to get the API key
- Visit the Steam Website
- Log in or register
- Navigate to Dev page
The free tier does not you charge anything. However, the premium tier will charge you $0.01 per 100 calls.
Popularity Score: 7.7/10
7. League of Legends
The LoL API is one of the main League of Legends (LoL) API services. LoL is a free online game whereby players can assume the role of a summoner and call upon other champions to fight them.
The League of Legends API offers players information concerning the summoners, including player stats, champions and other items included in the game. As a developer, you can call up information from the LoL database programmatically utilizing REST calls.
The API returns the appropriate content-format for JSON. Additionally, its capacity for the remaining number of requests is indicated on the header and the value continues to be updated instantly.
Popularity Score: 6.8/10
Just like the Poke API, the Minecraft API (also known as Minecraft Server API) is built under the REST architectural style and queries Minecraft server statistics such as
playerlist, as well as server status. Subsequently, Minecraft API is essentially a web service.
Some of the main capabilities of the API include:
- to query Minecraft domain DNS
- check IP/domain status
- get the service status of Minecraft servers and
- get the MOTD and status of PC servers among others
The API is lightweight and you can easily integrate the service with your existing websites.How to get the API key
- Just sign in to buycraft.net
- Go to profile
- Create a new API key
Popularity Score: 6.1/10
Do you agree with our list of the best video game APIs? Which API is missing from this blog post? Let us know in the comments below.
Summary: Best Video Game APIs for Developers
|API||Main Functionality||Popularity Score||Latency||Success Rate|
|Chicken Coop||Metacritic Data||8.1/10||1352ms||100%|
|Pokemon Go||Data about Pokemon Go||8.3/10||298ms||100%|
|PokeAPI||Pokemon Universe Data||8.2/10||214ms||100%|
|IGDB||Video Game Data||8/10||237ms||100%|
|Steam Web||Steam Video Game and User Data||7.4/10||1335ms||33%|
|Dota2||Dota2 League, Team, Match & Player Data||7.7/10||266ms||100%|
|League of Legends||LoL Game Data||6.8/10||242ms||100%|
|Minecraft||Minecraft API Web service||6.1/10||233ms||100%|
Complete List of the Best Video Gaming APIs
- Hearthstone - This API provides up to date Hearthstone data pulled directly from the game.
- Google Play Store - Need to see up to date reviews, ratings and rankings for products on the Google Play Store? Here it is! An easy to use web service that retrieves current product details from Google Play Store. Just give it an id!
- App Stores - An API for multiple mobile app stores: Android apps on Google Play and iOS apps on Apple iTunes. Low-cost pricing and fast response times.
- Pokemon Go - API that is dedicated to various machine readable data about Pokemon Go.
- Poke - Get data around Pokemon and the Pokemon universe.
- Chicken Coop - This is an unofficial Metacritic API to get all informations about games
- IMDb - IMDb API helps to query for all information about films, actors, characters,etc… as on official websites
- GameDatabase - IGDB.com is a video game community website, intended for both game consumers and video game professionals alike.
- Dota2 - Get league, team, match, tournament, item and player data.
- SteamWeb - Get video game catalogue, stats, and user data.
- XboxAPI.com - This is an UNOFFICIAL Xbox LIVE API. You can use this API to collect data about gamertags, such as profile/played games/game achievement data. Please visit https://xboxapi.com for more information
- LeagueOfLegends - Get League Of Legends game data
- Fortnite GraphQL - A public GraphQL API for accessing player data from Epic Games
- LoLWT - LoLWT API for League of Legends. LoLWT API provides you data from RIOT League of Legends!
- Minecraft - Minecraft API Web Service
- google play - A Google Play API.
- Solve Sudoku - Solve Sudoku Puzzles
- DiscordBot - Integrate voice and text chat for this gaming chat app.
- GuildWars2 - Guild Wars 2 is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game developed by ArenaNet and published by NCSOFT
- GameRank - The GameRank API can be used to access, update, delete and insert information about players, games and plays in a game Reputation System. The reputation system ranks players by quality and ranks games by difficulty.
- EGS Catalog - Parser for EGS API
- Globalstats - Enrich your games' experience by adding a global highscore for your games.
- AmiiboAPI - AmiiboAPI is primarily used for educational purposes. An Amiibo database that holds all amiibo information in a single API. All Respective Names are Trademark & © of Nintendo 1996-2018
- appsearch - Mimvi App Search provides mobile app search, discovery and recommendation services. Based on proprietary biomimetic algorithms, Mimvi App Search delivers the best coverage and most relevant mobile apps, mobile content and mobile products. Coverage includes: iTunes, Google Play (Android), Windows Phone 7, Windows Phone 8, Facebook, Blackberry, Web Apps.
- Elophant League of Legends - LOL Champion and Summoner Stats. To consume a service, perform a GET request on api.elophant.com/v2/
- Fortnite unofficial - Get list of weapons, items and more. Try the android app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.saffru.colombo.forweapons
- FortniteAPI - Fortnite API
- Gameserver Query - Lets you query Gameservers for Informations like player-count, map, maxplayers, …
- Google Play and iOS App Store data - The most comprehensive API for global app store data. Access app data for all Google Play and iOS App Store apps in 155 countries including 6 years of historical data.
- League of Legends - LoLInformer - LoLInformer custom API. This API returns current champions & skin sales.
- League of Legends LOL - This api provides you with several endpoints to get updated info about champions, items, factions and summoners of League of Legends
- lolperu - League of Legends Perú.
- Scoreoid - Truly cross platform, highly scalable gaming backend as service and real-time marketing platform that powers engagement and monetization. Gamify your apps with Scoreoid's gaming backend as a service. Increase retention, engagement and sales in real-time using Scoreoid Live. Scoreoid Live enables brands, studios, publishers and app developers to interact and engage with their users in real-time.
- TwitchTV - TwitchTV API Package