Pulling song lyrics. Streaming playlists. Sorting by genres. There are hundreds of ways to use music data to take your app to the next level. Even better? There are a ton of music data APIs you can access for free!
What is the best music API?
After reviewing over 38 music APIs, we found these 7 APIs to be the very best and worth mentioning:
Our Top 7 Best Music APIs for 2019
|AudD||Best for Lyric & Music Recognition||Connect to API|
|Deezer||Best for Finding Tracks & Building Playlists||Connect to API|
|iTunes||Best for Music & Other Media (TV, Movies, Podcasts)||Connect to API|
|Spotify||Best for Music Metadata & Playlists||Connect to API|
|SoundCloud||Best for Getting User, Track & Playlist Info||Connect to API|
|LastFM||Best for Metadata, Charts & Cover Art||Connect to API|
|musiXmatch||Best for Songs, Artists, Albums & Lyrics||Connect to API|
Our Top Picks for Best Music APIs
Here are some of the best music data APIs and their most common use cases:
AudD has over 42,500,000 music tracks in its database, which makes it the perfect API for recognizing songs.
With this Shazam-like API, you can recognize music by:
- or Lyrics
Here are some sample use cases for using AudD:
- UGC - Detect music and identify songs from user-generated content in your apps.
- Lyrics Searching & Displaying - Help your users when searching for lyrics.
- Music Stats - Calculate stats of offline music plays.
- In-App Music Recognition - Detect and recognize music in apps.
Popularity Score: 8.8/10
Deezer is a music streaming website that allows you to download and listen to songs for free.
The Deezer API allows developers to:
- Discover over 30 million tracks
- Create playlists
- Share favorite songs
Search songs by:
- and other details
Popularity Score: 9.4/10
We all know that iTunes has an enormous music database. But the iTunes API’s real differentiator is the storefront. The iTunes API accesses the iTunes Store’s database, which lets you filter media by store country, availability, and prices. While the API doesn’t have any popularity statistics, it provides pricing information from the iTunes Store.
Unlike other APIs on this list, the iTunes API doesn’t require a key. Just head to the iTunes API functions page to start testing calls!
The best use cases for the iTunes API are:
1. Searching Broader Music Properties
Like many music data APIs, the powerful searchMusic endpoint lets you search for artists, albums, tracks. But this endpoint also lets you pull music videos and mixes. Track data will include the track price, and the price of the album containing it.
You can perform arbitrary search across all of these data types, or use the optional entity parameter to specify what data you want to get back.
2. Moving Beyond Music:
While this article focuses on music data APIs, the iTunes API lets you search across the entire iTunes store. For example, you can also call endpoints that search the following media types:
You can also call the general search endpoint to search across all media types. All media will have pricing data, as well as general metadata.
Popularity Score: 8.4/10
Access the database behind one of the largest music streaming apps in the world. On top of the regular artist /album /rack data search functionalities, Spotify’s API offers access to public playlists.
According to a recent Wired article, Spotify’s playlists are a uniquely influential curation tool. Its Today’s Top Hits playlist has 14.4 million followers alone!
The Spotify API requires an Access Token, obtainable in their console: https://developer.spotify.com/web-api/console/get-artist/. You don’t need any scopes.
The best use cases for this API include ...
1. Searching for Music
2. Searching PlaylistsThe searchPlaylist endpoint lets you search for playlists with different keywords. As one of the most popular music streaming platforms in the world, Spotify has the most high-quality playlists of any API we tried.
Popularity Score: 7.8/10
SoundCloud is an online audio distribution platform and music sharing site that enables its users to upload, promote, and share audio. The SoundCloud API allows developers to integrate SoundCloud user, track, and playlist information into their software or applications.
With this music API, you can primarily interact with:
- User actions and details
- Followers and connections
The SoundCloud API is free, but with rate limits.
How to get a SoundCloud API Key?In order to begin using the API, you'll need a developer account with a Client ID and Client Secret.
Popularity Score: 6.4/10
LastFM has one of the largest databases of music data out there. And now, app developers can access it via the company’s powerful API. Get trending tracks and artists straight to your app by pulling top music charts.
LastFM's API is also very good about multi-media assets. It provides images for albums, tracks and artist.
The LastFM API only requires a free API key. You can quickly generate one here.
The best use cases for the LastFM API are:
1. Searching Music
- The SearchAlbum endpoint returns the album name, artist and cover art in multiple sizes
- The SearchArtist endpoint provides the artist’s popularity and images of the individual or band
- The SearchTracks endpoint provides the track artist, number of listeners and associated cover art
2. Gathering Metadata
LastFM provides powerful metadata beyond the search endpoints:
- The getAlbumInfo endpoint lists all tracks in an album
- The getArtistInfo endpoint pulls an artist’s biography, popularity stats and similar bands
3. Viewing Top Charts
LastFM uses its vast social network to generate listening charts. These endpoints let you access a variety of chart data:
Popularity Score: 4.9/10
Time to find your signature karaoke song. With over 14 million lyrics in 50+ different languages, MusiXmatch is the world’s largest catalog of song lyrics. Its API has the same data that powers the popular app.
The best use cases for the MusiXmatch API are...
1. Searching tracks and getting their information:
The Track.search endpoint is super powerful. You can search track by:
- Track name
- Partial lyrics
The partial lyric search is unique to MusiXmatch. If you only remember a few words in the song, you can use this function to track down the song and the track ID. Even if the words aren’t in order!
You can also sort results by track rating. The returned track has information like:
- Cover art
- Music genre
2. Getting track lyrics
Popularity Score: 9.9/10
These are some of our favorite free music data APIs. Have you built any cool projects with these APIs? Did we miss your favorite music data API? Let us know in the comments below!
All APIs mentioned above and accessible on RapidAPI.com are available in the following programming languages:
- Java (for Android)
- C# (.net)
To learn more how to get started with these RapidAPI SDKs, visit our docs.
Summary: Best Music APIs for Developers
|API||Track Data||Album Data||Lyrics||Audio Recognition||Playlists||Free|
Complete List of the Best Music & Lyric APIs
- Genius API - Genius Song Lyrics API
- Get Video and Audio URL - Get direct links to download video or audio files from almost any hosting website, like Youtube, Twitch, SoundCloud, etc with download api.
- Simple Audio And Sound Converter - Cloud API to convert sounds between various formats.
- AudioTranscription - Assign on-demand human workforce to different tasks.
- gaana.com Songs Download - Download free music from gaana.com. Using this API you can search for Songs, Albums browse New Albums, Tracks etc. This is unofficial API of gaana.com. Gaana.com provides both Indian and international music content. The entire Indian music catalog is available to users worldwide.
- MediaCrush - MediaCrush makes sharing media super fast by reducing the file size, without sacrificing quality. We'll losslessly compress images, video, and audio uploaded to our service. We can get 1000-3000% faster for some files!
- iTunes - Add iTunes and Mac Store search fields to your app.
- Deezer - Deezer is the No. 1 site for listening to music on demand. Discover more than 30 million tracks, create your own playlists, and share your favourite tracks.
- AudD - Welcome to AudD™ Music Recognition API. We recognize music by sound from files and from mics recordings with noise. We have 42,500,000+ tracks in our fingerprints DB and lyrics for 4,000,000+ songs.
- rdio - Rdio has millions of songs, from massive hits to rare gems to cult classics, with more added every week. It’s more music than you could listen to in a lifetime.
- Video2Audio - V2A API transcodes video files from URL to audio file. Very many video sites supported. Returns a link to the produced file. Until it has been completed there is a status provided then the actual file.
- Song And Lyric Database In The World - Complete, Fast, Secure, Robust and Simple API For Building Music Application! Features: Suggestion Search Query, Get Song by Artist, Get Album by Artist, Search Tracks, Search Artists, Search Albums, International Top Chart, Get Stream URL For Play or Download Song, Get Lyric in Each Song, Hight Quality, 100% Up Time
- musiXmatch - The fastest, most powerful and legal way to display lyrics on your website or in your application. Today. A complete music catalogue featuring 640k artists and 13M of tracks organized by albums. A powerful search engine including all our library is available through our api. Every artist/track/album has a score (1-100) based on our api requests, this is our rating. You can sort the artist/track/albums search results by this rating providing the most relevant content for your users. musiXmatch lyrics API is a robust service that permits you to search a complete music catalogue and retrieve lyrics in the simplest possible way. It just works.
- Raaga.com Songs Download - Browse, Search and Download Songs from Raaga.com. Raaga has a huge catalog of songs, from massive hits to rare gems to cult classics, with more added every week. Discover, enjoy, and share the music you love.
- Songkick - Be the first to know about concerts Track your favourite artists and never miss them live.
- Song Tempo Detection - This program analyzes an audio file and attempts to determine the tempo (in beats per minute) of that song. Determining the tempo is not a straightforward process and requires a sophisticated algorithm to accurately detect. For this program to be accurate the audio file should be a musical song with a consistent tempo. The program will accept a number of file types but works best with mp3 files. Allowed file types: mp3 (.mp3) wav (.wav) aiff (.aif) Being able to programmatically determine the tempo of a song will allow you to categorize audio files by tempo.
- humm - humm is a ready-made, open, and fully catalogued “white label” index of online music, offered to developers through our ground-breaking API. humm enables developers to create their own innovative — and 100% legal — music solutions, and businesses to build music into their services. In a word, we aim to be the Android of Music Services.
- Music Graph - This program takes a search query for a song name and returns all associated information including song name, artist name, album name (discography), album thumbnails, YouTube video link, music genre and release date. I the song name is not spelled correctly or incomplete the API will estimate the true song name and still return results.
- Billboard-API - Providing the Billboard chart rankings and information on titles, artists, lyrics, images, and more.
- Audio 2D Code - Audio-2d-Code is a new technology to share links using sound which can replace 2Dcode, NFC and Bluetooth in many occasions. By the means of sound broadcasting, the effective range can reach up to 3 meters. The SDK was designed for extension into many use-cases just like file transmission, tickets, broadcasting and other related fields. Now it supports iOS, Android, Windows Phone 8 and server development. The client SDK supports multiple platforms. For more information, please refer to the Getting Started page.
- Scrapesoft Music Lyrics - Welcome to the ScrapeSoft's Lyrics API! You can use my API to access Google's lyrics database through a web scraping API, which can get information on the lyrics of a specific artist's song. This API uses the following license: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
- SoundCTL - SoundCTL is a simple API for real-time audio processing, mixing and routing. Our goal is to provide developers with a simple and programmatic interface to our powerful audio engine.
- instatunes - Love music ? This API will search for tracks/ songs in mp3 formate and gets direct download/stream links to you. You can then either stream the track directly or download it. it can search for all indian , english and other local music. download wont cost you anything!!!
- 30,000 radio stations and music charts - 30,000 radio stations including the top radio stations in the world. Daily, weekly and monthly music charts + Now Playing songs.
- SongMeanings - Easily follow and track your favorite artists on SongMeanings! Be the first to know about new lyrics, song meanings & more!
- SRAPI 1.0 - SingRing API (SRAPI from now on) is a restricted REST service developed to serve SingRing (SR from now on) lyrics, artists and videoinformation to its partners. The service is based on server side connection between partners server and SRAPI servers and between clients and SRAPI servers.
- Music Trivia - A Music Trivia API driven by listeners of ZPlayer, a media player on Android
- Quicktate - Quicktate uses live professional transcribers to convert audio notes, to-do lists, medical reports, conference calls, legal files, voicemail messages, and more to text. We accept both short and long files.
- Chart Lyrics - The API provides 3 functions. SearchLyric and SearchLyricsText to search the available lyric(s) and GetLyric to retrieve the lyric. SOAP API (beta) Our Simple Object Access Protocol Application Programming Interface is available to developers and end users who wish to use our database for their music project, website or application. Calls to the API are done using SOAP 1.1 or 1.2. The WSDL Service Description file can be found on api.chartlyrics.com/apiv1.asmx?WSDL For additional information please visit the API webpage. api.chartlyrics.com/apiv1.asmx and/or download example code using the SOAP web service from chartlyrics.codeplex.com
- LastFm - Get top artists, tracks and users from online radio.
- LYRICSnMUSIC - The LYRICSnMUSIC API allows your site to legally display up to 150 characters of a songs lyrics with a link back to our copyright compliant lyric page or you can simply link back to the lyrics without displaying them on your App/Site.
- OneMusic - OneMusicAPI is an aggregated API, combining several of the largest, most accurate online music databases. OneMusicAPI allows you to query all of these databases with one call. This means less integration code for you to write, debug, maintain and (re) deploy. OneMusicAPI is lightweight; it is of a 'REST' style. You pass queries to OneMusicAPI in the form of URLs with the query details in the URL's query string. You receive results in JSON format.
- Audiosocket - Audiosocket's MaaS (Music as a Service) application allows application and game developers to incorporate amazing music into their experiences without the hassle of a formal licensing agreement.
- Soundcloud - Integrate SoundCloud user, track and playlist information.
- SpotifyPublicAPI - Retrieve music information from the full Spotify catalog.
- Openload - Connect to the Openload File Sharing API to upload, share and edit any file. Test an API call in your browser and export the code snippet into your app.
- Opera - Give you random opera and its composers. Great for building music-related apps.
- Eventful - Search events and venues on Eventful's local event database.