Also published on Medium.
Free SMS APIs
SMS APIs Breakdown
In today's digital world, there is no doubt that innovation is changing our conventional ways of doing things.
The business environment has experienced tremendous technological change over the years.
In order to remain competitive, one must adapt to the new ways of selling products and services, such as integrating with an API for sending SMS messages.
Digital SMS API marketing technique is one of the best strategies that businesses are using to reach thousands of potential clients with just a press of a button thanks to the SMS API platforms.
What is SMS API?
An SMS API refers to a software integration interface that enables code to send short messages through an SMS API platform.
It lets you build a personalized SMS channel for sending and receiving all your messages (like texting someone a GIF).
Depending on your preference, you can get an SMS API for either HTTP, Java or PHP.
Once you've set up a functional SMS API, it will help you:
- Send and receive SMS in different forms
- Access the recipient respond without any password authentication
- Review the status of all your messages in real time
What is the best SMS API?
After reviewing over 51 SMS APIs, we found these 8 APIs to be the very best and worth mentioning:
- Nexmo SMS Messaging
- Telesign SMS Verify
- ClickSend (Inteltech)
- Nexmo Verify
Our Top 8 Best SMS APIs for 2019
|Nexmo SMS Messaging||Best for Sending and Receiving Text Messages Globally||Connect to API|
|Twilio||Best for SMS, Voice, Video & IP Messaging||Connect to API|
|Telesign SMS Verify||Best for Verification & 2-factor Authentication||Connect to API|
|D7SMS||Best for Worldwide SMS Transmisson||Connect to API|
|Telnyx||Best for Voice, Data & Messaging||Connect to API|
|MessageBird||Best for Voice, SMS and WhatsApp||Connect to API|
|ClickSend (Inteltech)||Best for Sending & Receiving SMS||Connect to API|
|Nexmo Verify||Best for SMS Verification||Connect to API|
List of our Top Picks for the Best SMS Messaging APIs
If you have not integrated your business systems with a functional SMS API, your marketing strategies are not up-to-date and you might lose your clients to competitors.
The following list illustrates the most popular SMS APIs & SMS API providers that you can try today in order to make your SMS marketing campaigns effective and superior:
1. Nexmo SMS Messaging
The Nexmo SMS API is one of the top SMS APIs out there. It allows developers to send and receive SMS text messages to users around the globe through their REST API. Nexmo is one of the preferred APIs if you're looking to integrate SMS messages into your Android or iOS mobile app.
The API has 4 endpoints:
- Send an SMS
- Pricing by Country Code
- Pricing by Phone Number
- Search Numbers
Nexmo SMS API Pricing
The Nexmo API has a pay per use pricing structure which charges $0.0001/use of an API call.
See all Nexmo APIs.
Popularity Score: 9.5/10
The Twilio SMS API is another great messaging API that enables programmable SMS, Voice, Video and IP Messaging through their API.
The Twilio API has 4 endpoints:
- makeCall - make a voice call
- sendMMS - send a MMS message
- sendSMS - send a SMS message
- webhookEvent - called every time a Twilio event occurs
To begin using the API, you'll need to sign up for an account at the Twilio Console and either pay for an account or sign up for a free trial. Make sure to have your account ID and token handy to use the API through RapidAPI.
Twilio has a pay-as-you-go pricing model similar to that of Nexmo.
Learn how to use the API on RapidAPI.
Popularity Score: 8.1/10
3. Telesign SMS Verify
The Telesign SMS Verify API offers verification and two-factor authentication (over SMS) capabilities through their REST API. This is the perfect API for adding authentication into your mobile app with a verification code (via text message).
The Telesign API has one endpoint:
- Send Verification Code
Telesign SMS API Pricing
The SMS Verification API is a freemium API available with 4 different pricing tiers:
- Basic (free up to 1000 calls/month)
- Pro ($10/month) - 100,000 calls/month
- Ultra ($50/month) - 500,000 calls/month
- Mega ($250/month) - 2,500,000 calls/day
Telesign SMS Verify credits vary depending on the recipient country, which can see here.
Popularity Score: 7.8/10
The D7SMS API allows developers to integrate the Direct7 SMS gateway into your software or application to reach customers over D7's global mobile network. This SMS API is great for sms notifications and communication using D7's worldwide SMS presence.
The API has 3 endpoints:
- balance - get the user account's balance and quota
- send - send a single message to one destination address
- sendbatch - batch multiple messages to one or more destinations.
In order to get started, sign up for an account at d7networks.com.
Popularity Score: 7.3/10
Telnyx is a VoIP telecom service provider that offers multiple capabilities through their API including:
Telnyx API is great solution if you need more than just SMS.
To begin using the API, you'll need to navigate to Telnyx and register for an account. Create a connection and copy your API tokens to use with RapidAPI.
Learn more about how to use the API here.
Popularity Score: 5.9/10
MessageBird's SMS Gateway API provides a simple and fast API for sending and receiving text messages all over the world.
The API has 2 endpoints:
- HLR-lookup (network query)
- SMS Gateway
Popularity Score: 6.9/10
7. ClickSend (Inteltech)
Clicksend (formerly Inteltech) is a cloud-based service that lets you send and receive SMS, Email, Voice, Fax, and Letters worldwide.
The API has 2 endpoints:
- Check Credit
- Send SMS
Popularity Score: 6.6/10
8. Nexmo Verify
The Nexmo Verify API helps protect your users and your business with an all-in-one, economical verification.
This RESTful SMS API allows you to send a verification PIN code by SMS to prove a user can be contacted by that phone number.
This is useful for:
- Spam Protection
- Hack Protection
- Two-factor Authentication
- Reaching users
The Nexmo Verify request costs vary by country:
|Recipient Country Code (ISO2)||Credit Cost Per Verification Sent||USD Cost Per Verification Sent|
Read more about the Nexmo Verify API details.
Popularity Score: 6/10
How does an SMS API Work?
An SMS API works by helping businesses send bulk SMS in various formats across different kind of networks.
You are supposed to choose your preferred smart message service provider who will walk you through the process of integration.
You will be guided on how your business system will be linked to a working SMS API.
Once the integration is complete, the system is then tested to ensure it's working properly.
Your business can now start using the SMS API platform to communicate with both customers and staff seamlessly.
Benefits of using SMS API
- SMS API helps your business link all its systems into a single functional center thus, making it easier to send bulk SMS to a wide range of networks.
- SMS gateway API is faster and efficient compared to other forms of communication.
- You can get personalized SMS API that is ideal for your unique business system. You can customize your bulk SMS messages and include customer's personal information such as name as well as One-Time-Pins (OTP). They are efficient and flexible.
- SMS API is reliable in terms of speed and ease of use. With just a click of a button, you are able to communicate with various clients across different technological networks and get real-time feedback.
- SMS APIs guarantees a total data security as they are developed with sophisticated technologies.
Summary: Best SMS APIs for Developers
|API||Sends SMS||Sends MMS||Two-factor Authentication||Pricing|
|Nexmo SMS Messaging||Yes||No||No||Pay Per Use|
|Twilio||Yes||Yes||No||Pay Per Use|
|Telesign SMS Verify||No||No||Yes||Freemium|
|Telnyx||Yes||No||No||$0.0045 USD/Outbound Message|
|ClickSend||Yes||No||No||Varies by Volume|
Also published on Medium.
Complete List of SMS APIs
- Nexmo SMS Messaging - Nexmo's SMS API allows you to send and receive text messages to users around the globe through simple RESTful APIs.
- DND Checker - India - Check DND status of any valid mobile number before sending a SMS/Text Message to India using an up to date database of NDNC, NCCP, TRAI, DNC or NCPR.
- Twilio - Enable programmable SMS, voice, video and IP Messaging.
- SimpleSMS - This API let's you simply integrate text messages into your app. No need to buy numbers, set up global rules and handle different pricing in different countries. The API will take care of sending the SMS message from a number that is closest to the receiver to ensure fast delivery.
- FreeSMS8 - Send unlimited SMS to any Indian mobile number using this API, all you need is an account from freesms8.co.in
- Telesign SMS Verify - Delivers patented phone-based verification and two-factor authentication using a time-based, one-time passcode sent over SMS
- D7SMS - Quickly integrate Direct7 SMS Gateway and reach your customers over D7's own connectivity to global mobile network.
- Telegram - Integrate secure messaging into your app.
- SMS Gateway - MessageBird provides a simple and fast API for sending and receiving text messages (SMS) all over the world. Other related services are HLR-Lookup (network query) and sending and receiving Premium SMS messages.
- TwilioCopilot - Add local phone numbers and better scaling/delivery to SMS.
- Inteltech SMS - Intelligent Technologies SMS API. Allows sending and receiving of SMS messages. An account is required. Sign up for free at http://inteltech.com.au.Send messages to any country in the world.
- SMSAPI - SMSAPI is a global SMS provider offering High Quality SMS services (BULK SMS, HLR lookup) for companies to nearly 800 mobile networks in 200 countries. Read more here: https://www.smsapi.com/rest
- Nexmo Number Insight - The smart way to get real-time intelligence on numbers anywhere in the world and protect yourself from fraud and spam.
- Nexmo Verify - Protect your users and your business with all-in-one, economical verification.
- ClickSend SMS - Clicksend SMS REST API.
- Telnyx - Telnyx is a VoIP telecom service provider.
- Infobip SMS - Quickly integrate SMS messaging services into various solutions by using Infobip HTTP application programming interface (HTTP API). The HTTP API can be used for sending SMS messages, collecting delivery reports, making Number Context (number validation) requests and receiving inbound SMS messages sent from mobile phones.
- SMSly - SMS to INDIA - India's #1 SMS Marketing and Alerts Platform now available at RapidAPI. One click OTP verification | No setup costs | No license costs | You just pay a small fee per SMS | Instant Delivery of SMS | Secured SMS Routes | Priority SMS Gateway Routes | Live Delivery Report | All India & All Operator SMS Delivery | Easy integration with Organization Systems | Transactional SMS Services. For all of its features, SMSLy also offers extremely competitive pricing. We will be adding custom Sender ID support and other features to Mashape soon
- MoceanAPI - MoceanAPI makes sending SMS and 2FA verification easy.
- Octopush SMS - Octopush SMS allow you to automatically send SMS to over 200 countries. We provide API in either HTTP or SMTP and in 5 languages: Java, C#, VBA, PHP and ASP. Best ever simple service with a scalable cloud architecture!
- Hajana One Single Branded SMS Only For Pakistan - Hajana One SMS Gateway has been designed for your convenience. It sends personalized messages all over the world, and delivery lasts not more than a few minutes (sending speed is up to 500 SMS per second). After the process is finished, you get detailed reports. Numerous features of the SMS sending service provide easy, quick and safe distribution of your campaigns.
- BSG SMS Marketing - BSG makes it easy to send bulk SMS messages all over the world over the fast Rest API for many languages. Other related services are HLR-Lookup (network query) and sending Viber mass campaigns
- Sagenda v3 - Sagenda is an online booking software that helps your clients fix appointments and meetings with you online. Sagenda is available at absolutely NO COST for you or your clients! And the best thing about it is that you may have an unlimited number of bookings and/or customers. On a paid basis you can add SMS notifications, PayPal payment…
- SMS Text messaging gateway function - SMS TEXT API GATEWAY - CLOUD RESTFUL AND LIGHTWEIGHT API.Send and receive text messages directly from and to your web application or IT systems via our API. With access to our well documented and supported API you will be able to connect directly
- 46elks - Receive & send SMS messages, allocate phone numbers, control incoming phone calls, build IVRs, connect calls and create automated outgoing phone calls. Simply Voice, SMS & MMS in one easy API. Visit www.46elks.com for support and account creation.
- SMS2USA - Send unlimited free SMS to USA using our service provided by http://sms2usa.msgbolt.com/
- Branded SMS Pakistan - Branded SMS Pakistan provide Mask Messaging Gateway in Pakistan
- Dial2verify SMS Gateway - Introducing ultra cheap Transactional SMS API for developers ( India ) Send speedy sms with fully customizable dynamic sender ids for FREE..Claim your FREE SMS Credits at http://goo.gl/fsEPSo
- TextIt - Easily create interactive SMS applications anywhere in the world. At the core of TextIt lies our exclusive Flow engine. With Flows, anybody can set up or modify a complex SMS application without the need of a programmer or expensive consulting company. Using a basic Android phone, you can launch your application instantly in any country while avoiding expensive set-up costs or external technical support.
- Msg91 - We are Responsible to Deliver your SMS Instantly. Everytime.
- SMSLink - SMS Service Provider covering 1,000+ networks in 168+ countries. SMSLink is a SMS provider that provides integrated services such as SMS Marketing, SMS Gateway, Mail to SMS and SMS Alerts.
- Apifonica - A single API for SMS, social messaging, and voice communication, with free inbound calls and messages.
- EasyPostTracking - Add postal package tracking to an app, email, SMS or more.
- Atomic SMS Sender - Atom Park SMS Gateway API provides a seamless and effective experience and service by integrating with SMS API solution to provide a means of communication between your SMS gateway and your service thus allowing you to send and receive bulk text messages and check delivery status and reports.
- Clickatell - Use Clickatell's global SMS Gateway to send bulk SMS to: over 5.2 billion people on 960+ networks in 220+ countries & territories. This product provides an interface between your existing systems and Clickatell's Messaging Gateway.
- cloudwire Short Code SMS MMS - The cloudwi.re short code API is a robust messaging API for compliant USA based short code SMS/MMS applications and further supports international SMS to nearly every country in the world. No long or short codes are required. For international SMS, cloudwi.re utilizes local match long codes in over 45 countries.
- Hajana One Free SMS For Websites - Get Free SMS API for Your website, and Any application. currently we have daily limit on free API, we are offering 20 SMS/day.
- HQSMS - HQSMS is a global SMS provider offering SMS gateway and specializing in SMS text messaging solutions : SMS notices, bulk SMS and HLR lookup service. HTTPS API interface allows you to inegrate most of on-line applications.
- HTTP Messaging - The HTTP API is used to send simple SMS text messages by posting the message content and recipient information in a long URL.
- Mobile Billing - Direct Carrier Billing, Direct Mobile Billing and Premium SMS billing payment methods, all available using this Mobile Payments API from PencePay.com.All mobile billing flows are supported: PIN, Redirect-to-Operator, Premium SMS and SMS handshake.
- Mogreet - SMS, MMS, Transcoding and User Lookup APIs. Quickly and easily add messaging and rich media to your mobile application with the Mogreet Mobile Services Platform.
- Onehop SMS - The listed REST API calls give you access to the entire Onehop Platform stack. These API calls are designed to make it easy to add a rich in-app messaging feature to your application.
- Plivo - Add voice calls, conference calls and SMS to your app.
- Quiq - Quiq makes it easy for customers to interact with a company via Messaging. Customers can now engage customer service via SMS/text messaging, Facebook Messenger, Live Chat, and Kik for help with their pre-sales questions and post-sales support.
- Resalty SMS - With this API You Can Send SMS And Get your Balance you need to have an account on resalty website to use this API.
- SMS Fusion - API for sending SMS via the SMS Fusion platform
- SMS sending - Send bulk SMS all around the world, 200 countries covered and more than 700 operators are available. See http://www.allmysms.com/en/api-sms/ for more details and documentation.
- SMS Text messaging functions - Comprehensive SMS messaging functions..Direct UK connections, set the sender ID and send texts up to 612 characters. Send SMS to the UK and Europe. Functions include: Send SMS, Receive SMS, Schedule SMS, Delivery Reporting, Branch Level Identification. You can also control your Text Marketer account programmatically, for example: Inject mobile numbers direct into your account, create new sub accounts and move credits between them and create new groups. Used by well know brands through to start ups, low cost and reliability is our strength.
- TCS Cloud Messaging - TCS’ Cloud Messaging Center REST API allows developers to easily integrate SMS/Text messaging into their applications and web services. We offer two-way text messaging coverage for all US wireless carriers. The Cloud Messaging Center (CMC) REST API provides a set of methods that are called using https or http, to perform messaging (SMS) features.
- TheTexting Global SMS - Account Signup required..TheTexting RESTful API provides complete access to 10+ calls and allowing you to send texts globally..· You can send text & unciode messages, read messages, change your account settings etc.
- Transactional or OTP SMS - Digimiles SMS API can be used to integrate with ecommerce sites, CRM softwares, mobile apps, websites to send automatic OTP's, alerts, notifications, reminders to registered mobile users.