What is the best news API?
After reviewing over 58 news APIs, we found these 9 APIs to be the very best and worth mentioning:
- Bing News Search
- Contextual Web Search
- Newslit (formerly Nuzzel)
- MyAllies Breaking News
- Financial Times
Our Top 9 Best News APIs for 2019
|Bing News Search||Best for News & Trending Topics||Connect to API|
|Contextual Web Search||Best for Searching News, Images & the Web||Connect to API|
|Newslit (formerly Nuzzel)||Best for Social News Search||Connect to API|
|HackerNews||Best for Social News for Developers||Connect to API|
|NewsAPI||Best for All Around News||Connect to API|
|MyAllies Breaking News||Best for Real-time News||Connect to API|
|Bloomberg||Best for Financial News||Connect to API|
|Guardian||Best for General News for US, UK & Australia||Connect to API|
|Financial Times||Best for Financial News & Blogs||Connect to API|
Our Top Picks for Best News APIs
Today we thought we would highlight a few of the best APIs for news. Here is the list of APIs we reviewed:
1. Bing News Search
Developers can integrate the Bing News Search API with websites and applications so that users can search for and discover news based on specific keywords and categories. Among the details included in the news search results are:
- Article URL
- Article title
- News article image
- Date added
- Provider information
The API features trending news (en-US and zh-CN markets only) and topics that can be sorted and filtered based on category and region. You can also retrieve general news, top news, headline news, and related news.
Bing News Search API Pricing
The Bing News Search API has a freemium pricing plan, which allows developers up to 100 free API requests per day, then $0.005 per additional request.
Popularity Score: 8.6/10
2. Contextual Web Search
ContextualWeb is a new search engine powered by technologies that “mimic the human brain.” Roi Krakovski, PhD Computer Science, Ben-Gurion University, has written a post on Quora that explains in detail what ContextualWeb is and how it works.
Krakovski explains in the post that this search engine works unlike any of the well-known search engines in that there is no natural language processing (NLP), and no deep learning models or standard machine learning models.
ContextualWeb API Pricing
The ContextualWeb API is free to use and provides access to billions of web pages, images, and news. Krakovski says in the Quora post that “we truly believe that they [developers] will find the API highly competitive with Bing News and Images API.”
Popularity Score: 9.6/10
3. Newslit (formerly Nuzzel)
Earlier this year, Nuzzel launched Nuzzel Media Intelligence, a news monitoring and research product for business professionals. This new product is powered by Nuzzel’s News Search API. Nuzzel Media Intelligence analyzes millions of shared links that go through the Nuzzel system determining which of those links the company considers high-quality news sources. The system automatically adds sites to a list of news sources which are then continuously scanned. At this time, the system is scanning more than 100,000 news sources and nearly one million stories every day.
The Nuzzel News Search API returns news stories by keyword and each news story contains a number of fields including (but not limited to):
- URL, title
- Source (publisher)
- News image
- Short excerpt
Nuzzel News Search API Pricing
The company offers a free plan and three paid plans each providing different API usage levels.
Popularity Score: 7.9/10
Many developers are familiar with Hacker News (HN), but for those of you who aren’t, Hacker News is a social news website ran by Y Combinator. The site focuses primarily on sharing computer science and entrepreneurship news stories. Hacker News has partnered with Firebase to make HN data available in near real time. The Hackers News API returns in near real-time up to 500 top and new stories and returns best stories. The technology news API returns up to 200 show HN, Ask HN, and Job stories. Stories, comments, jobs, and other HN information are items that are identified by an ID. And each item has some properties such as URL, title, item type, time (creation date), text, and by (username of the author).
Hacker News API Pricing
The Hacker News API is free to use (MIT License).
Popularity Score: 6.3/10
The NewsAPI is a simple and easy to use REST API that returns JSON metadata for headlines currently published from over 30,000 news sources and blogs.
The NewsAPI covers top publications including:
- ABC News
- Al Jazeera
- Associated Press
- BBC News
- Business Insider
- and so much more.
The API also cover a huge range of countries around the world.
The NewsAPI has 3 pricing tiers:
- Developer - Completely free for all non-commercial projects (limited to 500 requests/day)
- Business - $449/month for 250,000 requests/month (no uptime SLA)
- Enterprise - $849 for 250,000 requests/month plus 99.95% uptime SLA
Popularity Score: 8.6/10
6. MyAllies Breaking News
The MyAllies Breaking News API delivers real-time news and stock pricing from across the globe. It also provides information on the latest breaking business and financial news.
The API has 3 endpoints:
- Real-time News Feed
- Company News Get Company Details by Symbol
MyAllies API Pricing
The MyAllies API is completely free to use on RapidAPI.
Popularity Score: 9.1/10
The unofficial Bloomberg API provides information about:
- and so much more.
Consider integrating this API into your software or mobile app if you're looking to enrich it with financial news.
Bloomberg API Pricing
Get started for free (limited to up to 500 requests/month). For higher usage plans, check out the other pricing tiers.
Popularity Score: 8.4/10
The Guardian is a British publication that delivers:
- Local News
- Global News
- and Reviews
The API allows you to query the Guardian's database of editions, sections, tags and search.
Popularity Score: 5.8/10
9. Financial Times
The Financial Times is one of the leading global business publications that provides news, analysis and comments. The API allows developers to query financial news, blog posts, and articles.
Get content through the API by aspect, ID, notifications, curations, facets, and search.
Popularity Score: 5.5 /10
Do you agree with our post? Did we miss any news APIs that you use? Comment below your favorite APIs.
Related News API Questions
What is a news API?
An API is a set of definitions and protocols that allow technology products and services to communicate with each other.
A news API often refers to APIs that allow developers to request trending news, stories, and other information from these online news media publications.
What is the best API?
How many types of API are there?
There are four main types of APIs:
- Open APIs
- Partner APIs
- Internal APIs
- Composite APIs
Summary: Best News APIs for Developers
|API||Main Functionality||Popularity Score||Latency||Success Rate|
|Bing News Search||Search News from Bing||8.6/10||362ms||99%|
|Contextual Web Search||Search Engine for the Web, Images, and News||9.6/10||5456ms||95%|
|Nuzzel News Search||Search for News||7.9/10||113ms||100%|
|Hacker News||Access Hacker News stories, comments, and user data||6.3/10||598ms||100%|
|NewsAPI||Access Global News from multiple sources||8.6/10||427ms||100%|
|MyAllies Breaking News||Real-time financial news||9.1/10||973ms||87%|
|Bloomberg Market and Financial News||Financial & Stock Updates||8.4/10||1803ms||99%|
|Guardian||Get News from the Guardian||5.8/10||239ms||100%|
|Financial Times||Financial news, blogs, and articles||5.5/10||239ms||100%|
Complete List of the Best News Media & Publication APIs
- AccuWeather - AccuWeather provides hourly and Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™.
- adverifai - Artificial Intelligence for fake news detection and automated fact checking
- AdVerifai-es - AdVerifai - automatically get news quality score and insights with FakeRank
- Anilist - Discover and share Anime and Manga.
- Article Data Extraction and Text Mining - Lexper provides tools for content extraction and text analysis and classification.
- Bing News Search - The News Search API lets you send a search query to Bing and get back a list of relevant news articles.
- Blogger - Blogger is a blog-publishing service that allows multi-user blogs with time-stamped entries.
- Bloomberg Market and Financial News - Bloomberg API helps to query for all information about Indices, Commodities, Currencies, Futures, Rates, Bonds, etc… as on official website.
- Breaking News - MyAllies News delivers real-time news and stock pricing from across the globe and information on the latest breaking business and financial news.
- CivicFeed - News - Grab JSON data for headlines and articles trending over the web right now. Analyze trends in news over time, discover relevant authors and organizations, and display news on your own websites and apps.
- FacebookLiveAPI - Stream, search and manage live video on Facebook.
- FAROO Web Search - Free Search API with 1 million free queries per month. Web Search More than 2 billion pages indexed. English, German and Chinese results. Sorted by relevancy. News Search News articles from newspapers, magazines and blogs. Sorted by publishing date, with author and article image. Trending News Trending news, grouped by topic. Topics sorted by buzz (number of sources reporting on same topic). One main article per topic + related links. Trending Topics Trending news, grouped by topic. Topics sorted by buzz (number of sources reporting on same topic). All full articles per topic, sorted by publishing time. Suggestions Suggestions with auto completes for query substrings and corrections for misspelled terms.
- FinancialTimes - Get financial news, blog posts and articles.
- Guardian - Query and download data from this publication's database.
- Hacker News - This is the first iteration of YCombinator's Hacker News API which provides read only access to Hacker News data near real-time, including stories, comments, user data, top stories, etc.
- HN Search - This API is built on top of Algolia Search's API. It enables developers to access HN (Hacker News) data programmatically using a REST API. This documentation describes how to request data from the API and how to interpret the response.
- hoaxy - Hoaxy visualizes the spread of claims and related fact checking online. A claim may be a fake news article, hoax, rumor, conspiracy theory, satire, or even an accurate report. Anyone can use Hoaxy to explore how claims spread across social media. You can select any matching fact-checking articles to observe how those spread as well.
- HuffingtonPostPollster - Polls, charts, forecasts and data about upcoming elections
- IMDb - IMDb API helps to query for all information about films, actors, characters,etc… as on official websites
- Marvel - Place to connect with other fans and get news about comics
- National Park Service - This API is designed to provide authoritative National Park Service (NPS) data and content about parks and their facilities, events, news, alerts, and more.
- News Search - Nuzzel tracks the most comprehensive set of important news sources, and integrates social signals from thousands of top business influencers. Over 100,000 sources are scanned each day.
- NewsAPI - News API is a simple and easy-to-use API that returns JSON metadata for the headlines currently published on a range of news sources and blogs.
- Reddit - Access stories, user accounts, moderation features and more.
- Relevant Wikipedia pages - This API can extract important topics from any given text or URL and suggests all relevant Wikipedia Pages related to those topics. You can use it in your application or product for a recommendation system, personalization, semantic analysis, etc. It can take any type of text as input and will perform best on URLs corresponding to news, blog, content, etc.
- Telegraph - Telegra.ph is a minimalist publishing tool.
- Term Extraction - Term Extraction from FiveFilters.org extracts key terms (e.g. for use as tags). Give it a URL to a news article or blog post, or submit your own text, and it will return a list of terms with (hopefully) the most relevant first. Terms can be returned in a variety of formats (JSON, XML, plain text, HTML)
- Vectorspace AI Summarizer - The Vectorspace AI API returns JSON data with a summary of cryptocurrency news, whitepapers, websites or any other context with optional context control, powered by AI.
- vegan news - Returns a list of the latest vegan related news articles, updated every 4 hours
- Web Search - Web Search API. News API. Image API. Billions of webpages, images and news with a single API call.
- TOI - Times Of India - With the Times of India API, you can get News and Current Affairs in India & around the World. This API gives all the current news with photos and videos. Comments is also supported. This API also provides Photo Gallery and Video Gallery. PS This is an unofficial API of Times of India. By using this API you agree to Terms & Conditions of Times of India. Please give credits to TOI by putting "News Courtesy : Times of India" in your app/website.
- Anime News Network Encyclopedia - Get data from the Anime News Network Encyclopedia in XML format.
- Trade Articles - The Trade News & Articles API provides in-depth news and articles written by Trade Specialists working in the Federal government. The authors include staff from ITA as well as other Trade Promotion Coordinating Committee (TPCC) agencies.
- Many2One - Search within a huge quantity of documents (news, blog posts, websites, rss feeds… downloaded from thousands of web sources) based on publishing date, keywords and other parameters
- TrustServista News Analytics - Unique News Search and Analytics capabilities: search in over 50,000 daily English-language news posts, content quality scoring and clickbait detection, URL links and semantic graph extraction, similar content detection, publisher statistics, geolocation tagging and more. TrustServista is a software solution provided by Zetta Cloud (www.zettacloud.ro). Read more: www.trustservista.com
- LinkedIn - Enable LinkedIn sharing on your app and pull company data.
- Trendn - Trendn aggregates the most viral and socially-shared content on the web. Ranking is based on social engagement, which refers to how interesting or relevant people have found an item or category to be. Examples of engagement include sharing with your friends, bookmarking an article, leaving a comment on a blog, or clicking a link to read a news item.
- ScrapeBoss - Extract raw content, meta data, opengraph data plus much more from any blog or news article using AI.
- 90 Mins - Football News
- Cryptocurrency Real Time News - Zloadr Professional API endpoints for real-time cryptocurrency & exchange & due diligence news. This category currently includes 8 endpoints:
- Daneel - Newscuration and Market sentiment on the Blockchain market
- FinsentsAPI - Equity news sentiment for smarter investment decisions. News Sentiment is derived from millions of web sources. It helps tracking the volume of information published for a given company, and its degree of positiveness or negativeness. Can be used as input for predicting stock prices.
- Ghost - Ghost is a fully open source, hackable platform for building and running a modern online publication.
- Monitr Financial Data - The Monitr Financial REST API allows developers to access and integrate the functionality of Monitr with other applications. Developers can capture and pull analytics on market sentiment, economic data, financial news, and social media. Public documentation is not available; developers can request an API key here: http://www.monitr.com/developers
- Mujmal - Mujmal summarizes Arabic news articles by selecting the most important sentences from the article, it uses data mining techniques specific to the arabic language to achieve this. When using Mujmal we can select how large the summary we are interested in to be.
- Newsalyze - News Analysis - Newsalyze provides a set of news analysis functionalities. These are currently: (1) information extraction from URLs or raw HTML data (title, lead paragraph, main text content, main image, authors, publish date, language, and others)
- newscuria - Submit a url of a news article. Get back stuff. Potentially useful stuff.
- newsinapp.io - Newsinapp is an API which allows you to add relevant news from topics into your apps.
- Newslookup.com Crawler Feeds - Newslookup.com is a news search engine, news aggregator, and news services provider. We provide subscription based API access to our crawler and search index.
- Newspaper - Newspaper is an API for Instapaper style article extracting and based off the python library newspaper, https://github.com/codelucas/newspaper.
- Online Station - Game news data API *Thai language only in this version
- Samepoint Monitor - The Samepoint Trend API Data-set represent a collection of current trends in news and media. It does not include everything in social media however it can be trained to find most content when put in monitoring mode.
- semanti.ca Web Article Data Extraction - semanti.ca extracts data from any Web article on any website (news, magazines, blogs) using Artificial Intelligence, Computer Vision, and Machine Learning. No programming needed.
- Sentiment History Company - Equity news sentiment for smarter investment decisions. News Sentiment is derived from millions of web sources. It helps tracking the volume of information published for a given company, and its degree of positiveness or negativeness. Can be used as input for predicting stock prices.
- socialanimal - Social Animal's powerful Content/News API provides a blazingly fast, simple API for popular articles with very flexible filters that let you get popular web content. Social Animal News API’s powerful query filters let you narrow down on the exact kind of content you need for your audience.
- Stock News - Get the latest financial stock news from the best news sources. Use our API to get relevant video content from companies in the stock market.
- Stream - Create and customize a social newsfeed/activity newsfeed.
- TopicAPI - The system for realtime topical grouping of social media and news content.