Table of Contents
- Data APIs
- List of the Top Data APIs
- Summary: Best Data APIs
Data is an essential entity for every organization or company.
Most organizations store tonnes of data about their day to day transactions, data about its employees, customers among others.
Some research organizations make their research data open making it accessible to the general public for further research.
This is a lot of data, for people to understand the meaning of the data, the data should be appropriately structured and visualized.
A Data API enables to represent this data in a format that is easily interpreted.
These APIs also help in visualizing the data to create a quick insight about it.
Data application programming interfaces have many advantages including for sharing data, and you send a link instead of documents, the data is already normalized and validated.
List of the Top Data APIs
Here is a list of some useful data APIs that we thought were worth mentioning (available on RapidAPI.com):
Developed by Google, Google Cloud Storage allows a developer to create applications that can easily store and get data from the Google cloud. This API establishes a storage facility for your use. Data can be saved and assessed at any time.
How to get the API key.
- Go to Google Console, select an existing project or create a new one and enable billing.
- Continue to activate the API.
- Navigate to the credentials page, and you will see your API key.
Google Cloud Storage list of endpoints
- CreateBucket – this endpoint returns a newly created bucket.
- CreateObject – returns a newly created object and its metadata.
- DeleteBucket – this endpoint deletes an empty bucket permanently.
- CreateBucketAclEntry – this creates a new ACL entry on the specific bucket.
Pricing details for Google Cloud Storage
Google offers a free tier which provides resources up to an absolute limit. To access more resources and functionalities, you have to enter their premium plan. Pricing details for this API can be found here.
Crime Data API helps build a safer community by providing crime data based on specified location. The data is hosted on their official website.
The API enables you to search through their database to find recent crime activity specific to your neighborhood or community.
How to get the API
Go to their site to get the API credentials and how to use it.
Crime Data API endpoints
https://citizenrequests.herokuapp.com – this endpoint allows to return a list of data about a specified location from crimemapping
Crime Data API pricing.
This API is FREE for the general public.
Free Natural Language Processing Service API is a type of open data application programming interfaces, and it is a natural language processing engine.
It provides services such as detection of language, extracting information and sentiment analysis.
How to get the API
Click here to visit their homepage and acquire API credentials for the API.
List of endpoints
- NLP-text – this endpoint allows to provide data regarding text for processing.
- Nlp-URL – this endpoint allows to provide a URL for the data to be analyzed.
The API is free for the general public.
WordsAPI is like your online English dictionary.
This API helps you find information about English words, their meaning, opposites, pronunciation and also returns relationships between individual words.
How to get the API
The API and API credentials can be found at Words API official website.
List of endpoints of WordsAPI
- Antonyms – this endpoint returns the opposites of a word.
- Definitions – this endpoint returns the meaning (interpretation)of the specified word.
- Examples – this methods returns examples of how the word has been used.
- Has Categories –returns a list of all categories of the parameter word.
WordsAPI Pricing details.
- Basic Plan – Free 2 500 requests per day
- Pro Plan – 25 000 requests per day for $10
- Ultra Plan – 250 000 requests per day for $49
- Mega Plan – 500 000 requests per day for $89
Data APIs by Amazon
These are the data application programming interfaces by Amazon:
Amazon Cloud Watch API helps you monitor your Amazon Web Services (AWS) and the applications that you run on the Amazon Web Services.
The API can be used to collect statistics about the services, monitor log files and respond to changes in your resources.
How to get the API
- Go to the Amazon Web Services Console and login to your account or create a new one.
- Go to security credential page and create a new access key.
Amazon Cloud Watch list of endpoints
- geometric statistics – returns statistics for a specific metric.
- ListMetrics – returns a list of metrics.
- EnableAlarmActions – this endpoint enables specified actions for an alarm.
Amazon Cloud Watch Pricing details
- AWS free tier: 10 Metrics, 10 Alarms, 1000000 API requests.
- Premium pricing details are found at https://aws.amazon.com/pricing.
6. AmazonS3 API
AmazonS3 API is object storage that was built to allow storage and retrieval of data at any time from anywhere. Web and mobile applications, corporate apps can store and access the data anytime.
How to get credentials
- Go to Amazon Console and login to your account or create a new one.
- Navigate to My security Credentials, create a new group and give permissions, create a new user and assign this group. Your credentials should be visible.
List of AmazonS3 endpoints
- CreateBucket – this method returns a newly created bucket.
- AddObject – this endpoint adds a specified object to a bucket.
- DeleteBucket – this endpoint deletes a bucket. Objects inside the bucket should be removed before this command.
- DeleteBucketLifecycle – removes the configurations of a specified bucket.
- DeleteBucketReplication – removes all replicas of the specified bucket.
- DeleteBucketPolicy – removes the policy from a specified bucket.
AmazonS3 pricing details
- Free Tier (For one year).
- 5GB Amazon S3 storage, 20000 Get Requests, 2000 Put Requests and 15 GB data transfer out.
S3 Standard storage
- First 50TB / month – $0.023 per GB
- Next 450 TB/ month – $0.022 per GB
- Over 500 TB/ month – 0.021 per GB
S3 Standard-Infrequent Access Storage
All storage – $0.125 per GB
S3 One Zone-Infrequent Access storage
All storage – 0.01 per GB
Amazon Glacier Storage
All storage – 0.004 per GB
7. Trello API
Trello API allows a developer to build an application that is used for project management. The API enables the form to get data, create and update tasks, prioritize projects and organize them the firm way.
How to get API key
Go to Trello.com and create an account, navigate to Developer API Keys page.
Trello API list of endpoints
- AddAttachmentToCard – this endpoint adds an attachment to a specified card.
- AddCardLabel – this endpoints adds labor to the specified card.
- AddCommentToCard – this endpoint adds a comment to the specified card.
Trello API pricing details
- Free Tier – free forever
- Business Class – $9.99 per user/month
- Enterprise – $20.83 per user/month
Open weather map API allows you to integrate your applications to provide weather data and weather forecast for different regions periodically.
The API can be obtained here.
Open Weather Map API endpoints
- Current Weather Data – this endpoint returns the weather conditions of any region in the world.
- Daily Forecast Weather Data – this returns weather forecasts in JSON or XML format for up-to 14 days.
- Forecast Weather Data – this endpoint returns weather forecasts for the current day.
- Search Weather Data – this endpoint allows a user to search for specific weather data, e.g., such by city name
Open Weather Map API Pricing details
- Free tier – free
- Startup – $40/month
- Developer – $180/month
- Professional – $470/month
- Enterprise – $2000/month
Nutritionix API provides a repository for data about nutrition.
This data can be used for restaurants, manufacturers of food among others who need data about diet.
The API can be obtained by clicking here.
Nutritionix API list of endpoints
Food Search – returns a list of food as per the arguments supplied.
Nutritionix API Pricing details
- Free Tier
- Starter – $299/month
- MVP- $499/month
- Unicorn – from 0.15/month
10. Guardian API
Developers can develop applications from their precious data, and the API can be used to retrieve the data.
How to receive the API key
Sign in to receive API key.
Guardian API endpoints
- GetEditions – this endpoint returns a list editions from the guardian.
- Detections – these endpoints get all sections in the guardian.
- SearchContent – returns information based on the search parameters.
- GetTags – returns a list of all the tags from the guardian API
- getSingleItem – returns data that exists for a detailed item example by id.
Guardian API pricing details
The API is an open data APIs that is open to developers and non-profit organizations.
These are the best data application programming interfaces, some are cloud-based and provide storage capabilities for your applications while managing the data stored.
Data application programming interfaces help in presenting and generating data in formats that can be easily analyzed and interpreted. Data application programming interfaces also define how you access the data stored.
Summary: Best Data APIs
|Google Cloud Storage||Cloud storage||Freemium|
|Crime data||Data about crime||Free|
|Free Natural Language Processing Service||Language processing||Free|
|Amazon Cloud Watch||Monitoring data||Freemium|
What do you think of our list of the Top Data APIs? Which API do you think is the Best Data API? Let us know in the comments!